Today, we are excited to launch the Platforms Starter Kit ↗ — a comprehensive template for building multi-tenant applications with custom domains.
What is a multi-tenant application?
Multi-tenant applications serve multiple customers across different subdomains/custom domains with a single unified codebase.
For example, this blog is a multi-tenant application:
- Subdomain: demo.vercel.pub ↗
- Custom domain: platformize.co ↗ (maps to demo.vercel.pub ↗)
- Build your own: app.vercel.pub ↗
Another example is Hashnode ↗, a popular blogging platform. Each writer has their own unique
.hashnode.dev subdomain for their blog:
Users can also map custom domains to their
Today, we’re making it easier than ever for creators to start their own platform by providing a comprehensive starter kit and announcing
Forget manually setting up CNAME records, wrestling with DNS, or making custom server rewrite rules with NGINX. With Vercel and the Platforms Starter Kit, you can focus on building the next big thing.
- Custom domains: Subdomain and custom domains support with Edge Functions ↗ and the Vercel Domains API ↗.
- Static generation with ISR: Performance without sacrificing personalization, by combining Incremental Static Regeneration ↗ (ISR) and Middleware ↗. ISR allows you to create new content (with custom domains) on demand without needing to redeploy your application.
- Uploading custom images: Allow your customers to upload custom thumbnail images with our Cloudinary integration.
- Static tweets: Avoid Cumulative Layout Shift ↗ (CLS) from the native Twitter embed by using our static tweets implementation ↗ (supports image, video, gif, poll, retweets, quote retweets, and more).
Examples of platforms
1. Content creation platforms
These are content-heavy platforms (blogs) with simple, standardized page layouts and route structure.
“With Vercel, we spend less time managing our infrastructure and more time delivering value to our users.” — Sandeep Panda, Co-founder, Hashnode
Free developer blogging platform
Blockchain-based publishing tool for writers
Platform to build beautiful profiles and meaningful connections
2. Website & e-commerce store builders
No-code site builders with customizable pages.
By using Next.js and Vercel, Super ↗ has fast, globally distributed websites with a no-code editor (Notion). Their customers get all the benefits of Next.js (like Image Optimization ↗) without touching any code.
Build simple websites with nothing but Notion
The simplest way to build a website with no-code
An easy-to-learn no-code website builder
3. B2B2C platforms
Multi-tenant authentication, login, and access controls.
With Vercel and Next.js, platforms like Instatus ↗ are able to create status pages that are 10x faster than competitors.
Beautiful status pages that are free forever
Scheduling infrastructure for absolutely everyone
Open-source link shortener w/ built-in analytics and free custom domains
Built on open source
This working demo site was built using the Platforms Starter Kit and:
- Next.js ↗ as the React framework
- Tailwind ↗ for CSS styling
- Prisma ↗ as the ORM for database access
- PlanetScale ↗ as the database (MySQL)
- NextAuth.js ↗ for authentication
- Vercel ↗ for deployment